Friday 1 February 2013

Makeup Style in Victorian Era


 Charles Edward Perugini, Oh for the Touch of a Vanished Hand, (~1870)
Charles Edward Perugini, Oh for the Touch of a Vanished Hand, (~1870)


As you can see from the image above, women in Victorian era did not wear much makeup on their faces. A healthy and natural complexion was valued in that period, especially for young people.Society women kept indoors much of the time so their skin colors were often looking pale. If woman who has any dark areas on her face, she will be classified as the lower class. Women's facial looks was much more about skincare and the careful application of creams. Lemon juice and vinegar juice were also applied as mask to maintain this fair complexion. Although most women in the Victorian era did not have makeup on their face, it was still used by the minority of them (Prostitutes and actresses). However, it was a bit of a taboo and certainly not to be revealed to others. 


After I did some research on makeup in Victorian era for my Estella character, I feel the makeup is both easy and difficult. The reason why I say it's easy is because I don't need to do much on the face as it is supposed to look natural. Another reason why I say this look can be difficult is because I need to figure out how can I use makeup to create a no-makeup look. 



No comments:

Post a Comment